Sunday, July 18, 2010

The drive back Home- part 1




Sorry for the delay

As I was driving through Tennessee, it was clear that the series of storms had caused damage across the state. Besides flooded waterways, trees were broken and bent, and dried mud was on the roads. It was sad. But the days were now clear and the sun beat down raising the temperatures to the 90’s.

I drove past Knoxville and saw big thunderheads forming. I had to stop every 1 ½ hour to cool down. We all needed cooling down, me Dakota and Agatha. We stopped at very nice rest stops on I40. One was named for Al Gore’s father, who was a designer in the national highway system that brought us these great roads. At this stop, there was a celebration and there were free donuts and drinks. Cool.

There was also TV with the weather. A severe storm warning, possible tornado. Now most of my friends know, thunderstorms are not on my fun list. I had about 2 hours of drive time before the storm. I drove about 1 ½ hours, got off at a convenient exit and saw a motel with my name on it. Yep, a night of luxury. AC, Cable TV, WIFI, Queen bed, hot shower and no worry of bad storms getting me. The storm came late at night, big booms and bright flashes of lights. I turned up the sound on the TV and closed the curtains. Dakota cuddled up to me.

The next morning was beautiful. I got back on I-40 and before long there was I-81. I stopped at the Welcome Center near Bristol, Virginia. I knew there were car races here, but this area is really known for the Blue grass music. There was a big festival coming up, which I wished I could have stayed and gone to. But onward. I was on a time schedule, hoping to be able to see Sean.

I moved along and drove a very long day. I ended up at the Natural Bridge. One of the wonders of the US, worth seeing. Nearby was a Jellystone Park. I drove down a very curving road and finally arrived at the campground. This is not the Legacy Jellystone in VA, that was up the road. The people there were very nice. The site was in a big field on the side of the mountain. Nice cool night for sleeping, if fact I was cold and had to get a blanket. Some difference from the 90’s of Texas.!

The next morning, I found my way out and onto a road that would take me east. There was some stop and gos , but most was 4 lane. I travelled through some of the most deadly battlegrounds of the Civil War. I tried to remember the Southern and Northern Generals. I remembered five from both sides and felt pretty good about that. Before long I was in Fredericksburg, VA. I had made very good time and called Sean. Sean had a Frisbee game and could come in late afternoon. I didn't find any campgrounds nearby so I found a Day’s Inn. The manager let me park the RV near the front office and gave me a great room.

Around 4pm I get a call Sean is in the parking lot. I open the door and here is Sean and Courtney with flowers and a present. What a great Mother’s Day . After 1 year away, I get to see Sean and Courtney. It was good. We went out to dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment